sling-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Bailey <Jason.Bai...@sas.com>
Subject RE: value level encryption - Donating?
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2017 14:55:12 GMT
Hi Antonio,

I added a couple of things to the repository based on your feedback. The primary change was
the addition of a key provider that would allow you to separate the management and the storage
of secret keys away from the encryption provider. I also added two implementations of that
service as well. One which utilizes the java keystore and the other which provides you the
ability to define keys in the OSGi Configuration. The secondary one being useful for testing
and for environments where you don't have access to the filesystem. I will most likely be
implementing another variant to integrate with the thycotic secret server.

To support Key rotation, I added additional identifying bytes after the IV that is used by
the KeyProvider to provide the correct key for decryption. While all encryption processes
are done with the KeyProvider's primary key.

Example of how this would work: I am using a KeyProvider with a primary key for 6 months.
As part of a Security Policy this needs to be changed. I then take the existing primary key
and add it to the secondary list and provide a new key as primary. At this point all new encryptions
will occur with the primary key, however I will still be able to access the older encrypted
messages as well. To update the older keys with the new key, it's a matter of iterating over
the stored encrypted resources with the EncryptableValueMap and using the encrypt(propertyName)
method.  Which will re-encrypt the property with the new primary.

I'm running with the AES/GCM because it provides the best overall security and fits my use
cases and the key rotation support should alleviate some concerns as well.

-Jason