sling-dev mailing list archives

From Konrad Windszus <konra...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Java 9 support, Sling 10 release
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2017 15:47:23 GMT
Hi Robert,
please see my inline comments

This tika release should happen very soon (tm): http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Tika-1-17-td4361894.html

> - We did not have the time to replace deprecated modules with third
> party jars, partly because we would need to do it for all supported
> Java versions, which is complicated.
Maybe I don't see all the details, but if I understand correctly we are talking mostly about
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-7135 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-7135>
(i.e. the class javax/annotation/PostConstruct). This should be contained in https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/javax.annotation/jsr250-api
<https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/javax.annotation/jsr250-api>. Isn't it possible
to add that to the Sling Launchpad with a bundle header which prevents it from being started
with a JRE < 9?
The only other one is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-7106 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-7106>
but I am not sure, whether the javax/xml/bind/JAXBException is only used in the test class
or also in a code path that is executed at run time.

> So my proposition, once the latest scripting.core and servlet.resolver
> release are out it to start the Sling 10 release process, supporting
> Java 9 with the --add-modules java.se.ee flag, and work towards
> removing that constraint for Sling 10. We would also run tests with
> that, obviously

Temporarily running the ITs with that is fine for sure, but I would like to be able to start
Sling 10 even without that option.