sling-dev mailing list archives

From Radu Cotescu <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discuss] Launchpad user experience
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2017 09:27:44 GMT
Hi,

It looks like the org.apache.sling.starter.startup bundle breaks the way
some integration tests check that an instance is ready, since the Servlet
Filter registered by this bundle returns a 200 for any accessed path.

The mentioned tests look for a path in the repo by doing a GET request and
expecting a 200 response code (this functionality is also provided by
org.apache.sling.testing.junit.rules.SlingInstanceRule#getAdminClient()#waitUntilExists()).

There are obviously at least two solutions to this problem:

1. tests shouldn't rely on a 200 response code from various paths until
they first check that accessing index.html returns the proper page, by
looking for the <!-- Do not remove this comment, used for Launchpad
integration tests --> comment; OR

2. the Servlet Filter registered by org.apache.sling.starter.startup should
in fact return a 503 - Service Unavailable, with the current response body
mentioning that Apache Sling is starting

I'd definitely prefer the 2nd option, since IMO we should not include
testing-related content in the default Apache Sling Starter Application and
503 is an appropriate answer for a starting instance.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Radu