sling-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Munteanu <romb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sling build broken for me.
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2017 10:52:56 GMT
Hi Ian,

On Thu, 2017-10-12 at 11:26 +0100, Ian Boston wrote:
> Hi,
> 2 observations going through the upgrade process from Oak 1.6 to Oak
> 1.7/1.8 using the full build to verify.
>
> Most of the build breakages are due to a bundle being release but its
> reference not being updated, some are subtle.
>
> The 9-SNAPSHOT that started this thread is obvious but hard to find.
>
> I just fixed the Healthcare IT build because the a bundle included in
> the
> Pax exam now needed a different set of imports so the PaxExam startup
> failed. That indicates the last release of HC might have been done
> without
> running the ITs.
>
> Oak Server also uses PaxExam, for ITs but it includes the version of
> Oak
> using the org.apache.sling.testing.paxexam bundle. Once updated, any
> bundle
> that builds using an older version of that bundle wont be testing
> against
> the current version of Oak being used by Sling. You could argue, so
> what,
> its behind an API, but the point of an IT is to catch the out of band
> issues not represented in the API.  I am tempted to upgrade
> everything to
> perform ITs against the current version of Oak (1.7/1.8) in the work
> I am
> doing.
>
> To recap: IMHO, Sling should be running full builds with all ITs at
> regular
> intervals. Ideally anyone doing a release should do the same before
> and
> after the release to ensure the released bundle isn't broken and the
> build
> is buildable after the release.

I'll set the Jenkins jobs to also build regularly. Note that a full
reactor build is not something I am keen on doing since:

- it takes a long time
- if one module in the reactor fails the build is aborted

Therefore I think it's best to keep the individual builds, but
configure them to build periodically as well as on changes.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-7191

If you think this is not enough or we find scenarios that it does not
cover we can revisit the change.

Thanks,

Robert