sling-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Felix framework 1.2.1
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:02:04 GMT
Hi all,

Felix Meschberger schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> Since our initial release, the Felix project released version 1.2.1 of
> the OSGi framework implementation. I think it would be good to also
> upgrade our dependency to the framework to this version (we still use
> 1.0.4).
>
> WDYT ?

After reconsidering and seeing where it goes, when going with 1.2.1, I
have to come back to this issue and propose to stick with 1.0.4 for now.

Let me explain: First Felix framework 1.2.1 introduced initial support
for Bundle Fragments. One part of the support was checking bundles for
Fragment-Host headers and throwing an exception if there are. In
particular the check also includes throwing exceptions on Framework
Extension Bundles (Fragment-Host header with extension directive), which
actually work. Unfortunately this check causes certain applications to
break. For example it is not possible to use Framework extensions any more.

Second, the framework is currently being modified to accustom some
proposed changes for the next OSGi core specification. This causes
changes to how the Sling launcher will have to launch the framework. So
depending on the current SNAPSHOT state requires modifications to the
launcher.

Third, I think, we should create a new release soon. Depending on the
SNAPSHOT fo the Felix framework might delay our release, because we
would have to have a Felix framework release first, for which we do not
have any timing yet.

So, in light of these facts, I think it would really be better to stick
with Felix framework 1.0.4, because it is known to work.

Regards
Felix