sling-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Component -> Slinglet?
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:50:58 GMT
On Sep 19, 2007, at 4:30 PM, Felix Meschberger wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 19.09.2007, 15:48 +0200 schrieb Roy T. Fielding:
>> I think it might be more interesting to stay within the metaphor
>> and call them stones (to be loaded in the sling).
>
> Then what do we call the current Content ?

heh, good point.  It's a pity their aren't more working parts in
a real sling.  Ah, but there are ...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sling_(weapon)

    A sling is a projectile weapon typically used to throw a blunt
    projectile such as a stone. It is also known as the shepherd's
    sling. The sling is not to be confused with the slingshot, which
    works on completely different principles.

    A sling has a small cradle or pouch in the middle of two
    lengths of cord. The sling stone is placed in the pouch.
    Both cords are held in the hand, then the sling is swung and
    one of the two cords is released. This frees the projectile
    to fly in a straight line. It flies on a tangent to the circle
    that the pouch makes. The sling derives its effectiveness by
    essentially extending the length of a human arm, thus allowing
    stones to be thrown several times farther than they could be
    by hand.

    The sling is very inexpensive, and easy to construct. It has
    historically been used for hunting game and combat. Today it
    still interests sportsmen as a survival tool and as an
    improvised weapon.

Lots of good names there.  But Slinglet is okay too.

....Roy