singa-dev mailing list archives

From Moaz Reyad <m...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Move SINGA to Gitbox
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2018 07:51:45 GMT
Hi Wei,

Currently SINGA code is using ASF git :

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-singa.git

There is a mirror of the github repository:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-singa

However, changes in SINGA master at github mirror are not automatically
written in the ASF git master. ASF committers need to use their ASF account
to push to
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-singa.git.

GitBox is a new service that provides Dual Master instead. The write
feature is available to ASF committers only.

ASF committers can link their ASF account with their GitHub account through
the page(https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/). They are asked to authorize
(login) ASF and Github accounts and link both accounts together.

This will simplify the process of merging a pull request in SINGA:
(http://singa.apache.org/en/community/source-repository.html#committers).
Since both github and asf masters are mirrored in both directions, no need
to clone from github and push to ASF when merging a pull request. Merging
works from Github Merge button directly for ASF committers.

SINGA can also ask for two new mail lists for commits and notifications, so
these do not go to dev mailing list by default.

Gitbox allows better integration with Jira and Travis CI. Jira can have
"worklog" option which enables ASF GitHub Bot to write to the Work Log
section under Activity in Jira automatically. Travis CI configuration is
made easier with write permission on the git repo.

For the SINGA website which is on SVN:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/singa/site/

If it is moved to a git-based website with GitBox (hence to github also),
this will allow SINGA website pages to have "Edit this page" links which
direct to github to make pull requests for website updates.

This is not a complete list of features, there are more things to discover.
More than 100 ASF projects already moved to GitBox.

Best Regards,
Moaz