shiro-user mailing list archives

From mneilly <mnei...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: java client authenticating with remote security manager?
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2013 12:10:11 GMT
Thank you for the response Jared. I got distracted by other tasks and wasn't
able to get back to this until now. :(

I'm using JME3 which has it's own networking API (SpiderMonkey) for sending
messages between client and server. I need to ping the JME developers next
to make sure I haven't missed something but my impression is that there is
no significant support for security.

Originally, after looking at the architecture diagram for Shiro
(http://shiro.apache.org/assets/images/ShiroArchitecture.png) I had the
impression that it could handle the network transport between an application
and the security manager as well as between the security manager and a
backend database.

Ie - I thought I could instance a Subject and a UsernamePasswordToken and
then Subject.login(token) would magically communicate over the network to
the the server running the security manager. I was trying to figure out how
the necessary information got communicated to enable that. Unfortunately,
I'm still at the point where I don't know what I don't know. :)

For now, I've decided to send the login and password in clear text to a
server implementing a Shiro SM and try to get things working on the server
side first. Hopefully that'll get me far enough along the learning curve on
both ends to have a better idea of what's really necessary in this type of
system.

-M