shiro-user mailing list archives

From balajee.kinth...@icontel.com
Subject RE: Regarding Jsecurity usage in my project
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:11:20 GMT
Hi Les,

 Thank you for your explanation.

If we are using load balancing concept in my application how j security
will handle session management. i.e how it will update/ migrate sessions
between two server of load  balancer

Thanks & Regard

Balajee

________________________________

From: les.hazlewood@anjinllc.com [mailto:les.hazlewood@anjinllc.com] On
Behalf Of Les Hazlewood <lhazlewood@apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2009 9:10 PM
To: shiro-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Regarding Jsecurity usage in my project

			Hi Les,

			I am working on a project with flex and java. I
came across Jsecurity when I
			am evaluating security framework for my project.
I gone through the samples and trying to understand Jsecurity.

			I have following question before I recommend
Jsecurity for my project.

			We r planning to have users,groups,roles
privileges for object. In JSecurity
			I didn't get any information regarding user
groups. Can I create  groups and
			assign roles to groups?

Of course you can, but Shiro doesn't provide any 'write' operations to
do this for you.  The reason is that Shiro can't know ahead of time what
data model you will need, so it only performs 'read' operations from
Realms to do authentication and authorization checks.  You typically
make those associations yourself in an application by calling a
GroupManager/Service or UserManager/Service (or something similar) and
have those managers/services make calls to DAOs that know about your
data model and data source.

Then your Realms can read from those same data sources to do the lookups
necessary to perform the security check.\

		Shiro has different naming for these. They are as
follows
		usual name:  jsecurity name
		User:    Subject
		Group: PrincipalCollection

Oops, this one is incorrect.   A Principal is an identifying attribute
of a Subject, aka user.  For example, username, social security number,
user id, etc - these are all Principals.  A PrincipalCollection is
nothing more than what its name implies - a collection of one or more
Principals.  A PrincipalCollection exists to aggregate Principals for a
subject from one or more Realms.

That is, if you log in and 2 realms are accessed - a JdbcRealm and an
LdapRealm, the JdbcRealm might contain a user id (primary key) and
permission information.  The LdapRealm might contain that user's
username, first name, and last name.  Each one of these identifying
attributes from both Realms is a Principal.  The PrincipalCollection
'wraps' these Principals from all Realms consulted during the
authentication process so they can be accessed by the application later
- for example, principalCollection.fromRealm("myJdbcRealm").

A Group on the other hand is not something that is supported natively at
the moment by Shiro because it is a convenience mechanism that does not
necessarily exist across most applications.

I usually think of a Group in the following context:

A Group is a named collection of one or more Users
A Role is a named collection of one or more Permissions

If a Group has Roles and a User is assigned to a Group, then by
transitive association, you could think of the User 'having' the Group's
Roles (as well as any that might be directly assigned to that User).

		Privilages: Permission

	I recommend you reading the QuickStart.java example to
udnerstand how it all works. Also the configuration file. It showys how
to assign roles to groups

		Is there any standard database setup(schema) needed to
work with Is there
		any admin console developed for Jsecurity to assign/
modify users,groups
		,privileges.

There is not currently any such thing.  The reason is that Shiro was
designed from the ground up to handle any security model.   If we made
an admin console we would have to make many assumptions about the
underlying system.  For example, most applications use Roles.  Some use
Groups and Roles.  Some applications never use Permissions.  Some
applications assign Permissions directly to Users, while others never do
this and only assign Permissions to Roles and then assign Roles to Users
to achieve a more indirect (and more scalable) mapping.

You can see the number of combinations of this getting pretty difficult
to deal with to support most applications' needs, which is why we don't
have a console to do this out-of-the-box - it would impose many
assumptions on the underlying data model that we can't control.

Now - all of this being said, this is not the first request for such a
system, so I think we might be able to give this a try and see how it
goes.  But I'm fairly certain something like this is a large enough
effort that it would probably need to wait until after 1.0 is released

		How session management is implemented. As my request
comes from Flex
		client/Web browser, is it secure to use Jsecurity for
session management.

Yes, this works perfectly fine - I'm using it myself in a large
enterprise Flex application right now in fact.  Because Flex requests
(AMF over HTTP) use the normal HTTP protocol, any session cookies set by
the Shiro WebSecurityManager will be sent back to the server with each
Flex invocation.  You don't have to configure anything to get this to
work - it is already enabled.

		Is there any extension possible for secure payment
transactions / usage of
		captcha for user identification.

There is a Jira issue I believe for Captcha support, and it is not yet
implemented.  There is no native support for native secure payment
transactions as these operations almost always rely on an application's
native data model as well as the payment provider being used.

But I'm sure that if anyone wanted to help with either of these, we'd be
open to suggestions/contributions!!!

Anyway, I hope that helped explain things.

Cheers,

Les