shiro-user mailing list archives

From Les Hazlewood <lhazlew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: User model with configurable authentication?
Date Sat, 28 Mar 2009 19:25:58 GMT
Hi Ryan,

I do this myself in my applications as well with multiple realms.  But I
don't have the Ki components do this directly.  Instead, I have a that
performs all user-specific functionality.

What you're talking about is really business logic unrelated to Ki, so it
belongs in a business-tier component.  Here's how I do this kind of stuff (a
little simplified though for this discussion):

I have a UserService interface with a DefaultUserService implementation.

There will be a UserService.login(String username, String password);
interface method.  The implementation can use the Ki Subject to perform the
logic.

If the authentication succeeds, I check (via a UserDAO) if there is a
corresponding record in the RDBMS for that login.  If not, I create one at
that time, making the appropriate association with the LDAP credentials.
Then the method returns quietly if there are no problems, otherwise throws
application-specific exceptions (not Ki Exceptions) if something goes wrong
to let the GUI know what went wrong.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Les