shiro-dev mailing list archives

From Lenny Primak <le...@flowlogix.com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Community Update: Working on 1.3 Release + Dedicated Shiro Staff
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2016 01:48:29 GMT
That's fantastic news congratulations Brian and Shiro team!!

> On Jun 27, 2016, at 7:03 PM, Les Hazlewood <lhazlewood@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Apache Shiro Community!
>
> I know it has been a while since we last had a public community announcement, and things
have been very quiet due to Shiro's mostly-stable status (with some minor exceptions the last
few months).  That said, you may have noticed a whole bunch of Shiro activity recently - Shiro
JIRA emails, confluence activity, etc., and this is due to some new very exciting news.

> I'm proud to announce that Brian Demers, a long-time existing Shiro team member and committer,
has decided to join us here at Stormpath in a full time position.  With this role, Stormpath
will be investing in the Shiro project and its community with a full time resource!

> Until now, Shiro has been fostered and supported with much love by the Apache Shiro dev
team over the years, but only as part-time engineers.  We have always had full-time day jobs
and couldn't dedicate 100% of our time to it.  But at least now in Brian's case, he gets to
spend all of his work time on it too (and I'm jealous! :) ).

> What is Brian going to be doing?
>
> One of Brian's first projects as a Stormpath employee will be to help clean up the existing
Shiro JIRA backlog, specifically issues with patches that have been sitting for a while, and
get a 1.3 release out. If there is a particular issue or patch you have been working around
for a while please let the dev team know.

> Beyond that, Brian will be working towards the Shiro 2.0 release, as well as supporting
the community with educational content and upgrading the Shiro website.

> What does this mean for the Apache Shiro project?
>
> For all intents and purposes, it means more help, better support and getting Apache 2.0
out the door faster.  Like all Apache projects, Shiro will *always* be run "The Apache Way"
- it is a meritocracy and each Apache Shiro committee member will continue to manage Apache
Shiro the same way we have since project inception.  Stormpath just sees Shiro as a complementary
technology that helps Stormpath customers, so it was a natural fit for us to hire someone
to help with Shiro full-time.  It is no different than, say, the many IBM employees that are
full-time employees dedicated to other Apache projects (e.g. like Tomcat).

> Additionally, Stormpath has no plans to make a 'commercial' version of Shiro - so don't
worry about that.  All Shiro work will be 100% open and contributed back to the community
under the Apache 2.0 license (again, as we've always done).

> So, in summary, there is *no* change to Shiro, its team, its management, or its community
other than getting dedicated, full-time help! :)