shiro-dev mailing list archives

From Les Hazlewood <lhazlew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Complete CAS remember-me support
Date Sat, 21 Jul 2012 22:32:11 GMT
This was posted on another email thread on Shiro's dev list, but I'll
cross post here due to wanting to be extremely clear about Buji:

I created the Buji project on a whim last week as a playground of
sorts for people (including me) wishing to work on things at their own
pace, without the need to sync w/ the Shiro development team or the
dev team's timelines or goals.  People like GitHub a lot, so they can
use it if they want.  And for reference, 'buji', pronounced "boo jee",
is a Japanese word for 'safety', paying homage to Shiro's target space
and Japanese-themed name.

What is important to note here is that there is nothing about Buji
that is 'official' from a Shiro dev team (or Apache) perspective.  I
created it with the expectation that it  is 100% for community-led and
community-supported extensions - people can do whatever they want with
it and the Shiro team has no official involvement (and therefore no
official ASF guarantees, which every Apache project makes).  My vision
was that it can be identical in concept the WicketStuff project and
how that project functions in relation to Apache Wicket, and just see
what happens.

That being said, I personally like the idea and I'll probably use it
myself for things that may not make sense to be in the core Shiro
project.

There has been NO discussion with the Shiro team about removing
anything that is currently in Shiro and moving it to Buji at all.
Again, Buji was just my own simple idea for the community to play with
and has zero 'official' impact on Shiro's development practices.  If
the Shiro development team wants to migrate code from Apache Shiro to
Buji because we don't want to officially maintain something anymore,
that will be discussed by the dev team.  So far there hasn't been any
such communication or desire.

Again, let me reiterate: Apache Shiro is an official Apache Top Level
Project, and all efforts supported by the official Apache Shiro team
will (and will always) be done at Apache.  The Buji project conversely
is a playground to be used by the wider/general open source community
at their own discretion and without official ASF support or
IP/licensing guarantees therein.  Use it and/or contribute to it at
your own discretion based on your needs/desires.

Best,

--
Les Hazlewood | @lhazlewood
CTO, Stormpath | http://stormpath.com | @goStormpath | 888.391.5282