shiro-dev mailing list archives

From Les Hazlewood <...@hazlewood.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Shiro 1.2.0 (2nd attempt)
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 02:20:19 GMT
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Kalle Korhonen
<kalle.o.korhonen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Les Hazlewood <lhazlewood@apache.org> wrote:
>> I was trying to be consistent with the actual release version number,
>> since that is most relevant when perhaps needing to do a checkout (or
>> perusal) from SVN at a later date.  The 'shiro-root' prefix is a
>> side-effect of maven, not something that should be reflected in SVN
>> IMO.
>
> Our existing tags are at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shiro/tags/
> and it's not consistent with the previous tag. It's not a
> "side-effect", any of our sub-modules could technically follow an
> independent release cycle.
>
>> i.e. I find this much better:
>> trunk
>> branches/1.2.x
>> branches/1.3.x
>> tags/1.1.0
>> tags/1.2.0
>> tags/1.2.1
>
> I'm sure you are not proposing to change the root layout of our svn space?

No, I'm only proposing that the tag names not contain any 'shiro-root'
or anything other Maven-related.  Tag names should be identical to the
release M.m.p revision # IMO.

>> Is the existing tag something that would prevent you from voting?  I'd
>> _really_ not want to do another release again (which I think I'd have
>> to do to ensure the maven <scm> tags are consistent, right?).  I've
>> spent 4+ hours on this process already (fighting with the site plugin,
>> gpg, re-releasing, etc)  :/
>
> In general, if we cannot release any given module by running mvn -B
> release:prepare release:perform and have the release completed within
> a few minutes, we are doing something wrong. If it's a matter of time,
> I can fix it, addressing this issue shouldn't take more than 15
> seconds.

If you'd like to do this, please feel free.  For your reference, this
is the process I follow:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SHIRO/Performing+a+Release

Step #3 (maven commands) most certainly do not take 15 seconds.  The
entire (maven only) process takes about 20-30 minutes, and that's not
including all the Maven3+site plugin crap I had to fight with last
night.

Does this require yet another vote?

Les