shiro-dev mailing list archives

From Kalle Korhonen <kalle.o.korho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shiro Guice Integration
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2011 02:52:09 GMT
On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Jared Bunting
<jared.bunting@digitalreasoning.com> wrote:
> About a month ago I posted a patch to SHIRO-23
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO-23) for adding Guice
> support to Shiro.  At the time, I mentioned that it still needed some
> refinement and test coverage.  Rather than post continual patches as I
> completed that, I started a small project on bitbucket
> (https://bitbucket.org/jaredbunting/shiro-guice) for this code.
> At this point, I feel like it's fairly feature complete, and I've added
> some documentation to it as well.  Is this something that could be
> considered for inclusion into Shiro proper under SHIRO-23 ?

I'm probably in the best position to handle it. I looked over your
patch earlier and already thought it looks good enough for inclusion
in principle but the remaining, generic contention is whether we want
to support third-party libraries within Shiro. There are opinions both
for and against integration modules. For historic reasons, we've
always had support for Spring but in general we'd like each project to
host shiro integration libraries themselves. However, the practical
answer is we are willing to include anything we intend to support.
Guice is so close to Tapestry-ioc's programming model and so far from
(old-school) Spring (especially compared to setter vs. constructor
injection) that personally, I'd like to see Guice being supported as
part of Shiro, just to serve as a balance. I don't use Guice anywhere
at the moment myself but perhaps there's a few things we can do to
have better guarantees to maintain Guice integration in the future. If
you think it's ready for inclusion, make the patch anyway and attach
it to the issue - that way we can keep the paperwork in order.

Kalle