shiro-dev mailing list archives

From Kalle Korhonen <kalle.o.korho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple instances of the same Filter class across filter chain definitions
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:27:41 GMT
On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Les Hazlewood <lhazlewood@apache.org> wrote:
> Also, Kalle, why do you think this might be a better approach than
> using request attributes to reflect path/request-specific
> configuration?  I'm curious as to the thought process as this diverges
> from the 'traditional' servlet model.

Using request attributes would have other interesting benefits, like
sharing same configuration between different filters, but to answer
your question: it's better because it'd be simpler to implement (less
lines of code) and it would perform better. I think it's a typical
case for trading memory for better performance. Obviously, it's not
like other suggested implementations would perform drastically worse,
but on the hand fairly limited number of multiple filter instances
don't consume that much more memory either. So together with the
simplified implementation, it seems like a reasonable win without
major drawbacks.

Kalle