shiro-dev mailing list archives

From Tauren Mills <tau...@groovee.com>
Subject Re: Versioned Reference Manual
Date Fri, 27 May 2011 20:27:36 GMT
Craig,

My comment was not directed at you in any way, I'm sorry if it came
across that way. I appreciate your suggestion, as it sounds like a CMS
with markdown support might be better than what's currently in use.
Les' concern about ASF hosting requirements is what prompted me to
respond, not your helpful suggestion.

My intent was simply to vent some of my personal frustrations in
regards to the policies and structure imposed by the ASF. I understand
there are reasons for these policies that go far beyond my simple
outside-looking-in viewpoint. But if I was inside the ASF, I'd want to
be aware of how things are being perceived from the outside. Perhaps
I'm alone in my views, but what if I'm not?

I'm currently involved in a real-time application with much of the
logic running on the client. We are using lots of javascript
technologies both in the browser and the server, include backbone.js,
node.js, and socket.io. I get to see first hand the amazing speed at
which these technologies are improving and developing and the massive
communities being built around them. The sheer scale of those
contributing is amazing, and I attribute much of that to the toolsets
they are using and the lack of a governing body.

Unfortunately, I don't think these projects would be anything like
they are today if they were part of something like the ASF. This is a
real shame, because the ASF has many really great projects that could
utilize similar techniques as those projects. I would like to see ASF
projects given the opportunity to grow and build communities using the
tools and means they deem most appropriate.

Of course, at some point, a certain level of governance needs to take
place in any community that has grown past a certain size. But there
is a middle ground between the wild west and the ASF. I simply think
the ASF should evolve more toward that middle ground. How to do that
while maintaining the value that the ASF currently provides its
projects will of course be challenging. And I do recognize the value
the ASF affords:
http://tech-seeker.com/blog/apache-software-foundation-asf-why-is-it-successful/

I'm sure there's a better forum for these comments than here, so I'll
wrap up. Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone and will look for a
better forum to vent in next time. I think Shiro is a great project
and very much appreciate everything that Les and the ASF has done to
foster it.

Tauren

>>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com