shiro-dev mailing list archives

From Les Hazlewood <lhazlew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ExceptionCatchingModularRealmAuthorizer ?
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 18:22:16 GMT
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Brian Demers <brian.demers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, changing the Realm interface defiantly violates the versioning
> guidelines.  Is there anything saying the next release cannot be 2.0
> (granted that doesn't change the problem here)

Nope, nothing that says that, but 2.0 is probably a large enough scope
that it means we won't have a release in a long time.  I'd rather not
hold off what could be 6 to 9 months before getting our next release
out.  IMO that's a stifling thing to do for a community that is
currently picking up a huge amount of steam (~ %20 traffic increase
compounded per month)

Here is some of the stuff discussed for version 2:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SHIRO/Version+2+Brainstorming

Please feel free to add your own ideas!

> On the plus side, I think my ExceptionCatchingModularRealmAuthorizer
> was the only think that broke, which highlights a contribution.

Yep, but we have no idea how many other custom Authorizer
implementations there are.  That could leave a bad taste in the mouths
of those people - not something I'd like to risk.

It is very important to me that, as a security framework, we create
releases with stability and consistency in mind, especially now that
we're past 1.0.

My .02,

Les