shiro-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Issue with new contributors to the wiki
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2011 02:04:55 GMT

On Feb 10, 2011, at 5:40 PM, Les Hazlewood wrote:

>> Is it really too much to ask that folks who can publish on the
>> official site
>> register and acknowledge that they are intending to contribute to the
>> project (via a CLA)?
>
> Do you mean registering for Confluence or the CMS?  If so, I would
> think that would be very copacetic.
>
> But requiring a CLA just to contribute a typo fix or a add a
> paragraph?  I think most people wouldn't bother.  But those are the
> things that add up quite a bit in documentation, especially as it
> pertains to keeping things current, so it'd be a shame to miss out on
> them.

There is a somewhat running discussion in Apache about how big a
contribution has to be before the contributor needs to sign a CLA. A
line of code? A paragraph of text for documentation? A class in the
implementation? A test class? A test suite?

There is a separate issue (for me, at least) of whether unknown
persons have the ability to publish (automatically push changes to an
official site). At least, let's have contributions vetted before they
go live (and get picked up by Google and other spiders and
subsequently become part of the project's permanent history).

Craig

> Les

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle