shiro-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Issue with new contributors to the wiki
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2011 23:34:20 GMT
Hi,

On Feb 10, 2011, at 3:18 PM, Les Hazlewood wrote:

> It is my understanding that only CLA contributors are allowed to
> contribute to documentation to ensure their content is compatible
> under the Apache 2.0 license.  I believe there is a 'cla' group in
> confluence that represents all CLA users, and I'm pretty sure that
> everyone in that group can edit our wiki pages.
>
> Craig, Alan, (or anyone else who might know) - do you know if we're
> allowed to have a 'completely open' space where anyone can post, even
> those who haven't submitted a CLA?

The Foundation gives wide latitude to projects to manage their wikis
as they like, so this is really a project question.

We certainly want to lock down pages that will be published as our web
site. [But you all should know that Confluence has a limited shelf
life here as the source for web sites. The infra team has a new tool
that will become the standard tool for projects' web sites. They call
it CMS.]

> My assumption is that it would be ok to do this.  For example, Jira
> end-users aren't always CLA-cleared, but the ASF considers all issue
> comments and patches to be 'contributions under ASL 2.0'.

Well, not exactly. There is a tick box on uploaded files that says

o Grant license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works (as per theApache
License ยง5)

> Can't that
> be the same for wiki edits?  It would certainly reduce the barrier to
> entry for those who legitimately want to help.

So there are three kinds of wikis that I know of here at Apache:
wikis that contain the web site contents (should be restricted to
project committers)
wikis that have documentation and other useful user contributions
(should be restricted to "known" users)
wikis that have random comments from users (no policy)

Just be aware that if a wiki is not restricted, spammers can attack it
and the community needs to be constantly monitoring it for abuse.

> We could always get clarification from legal@ if necessary...

Please, no.

Craig

> Les
>
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Alex Salazar <alex@alexsalazar.com>
> wrote:
>> So I did a quick test on found that there doesn't seem to be an
>> easy way for
>> someone new to quickly edit a wiki page and I think its worth
>> discussing how
>> we should handle this.  The main reason I see this as a problem is
>> around
>> documentation.  If the community at large can't touch the
>> documentation then
>> it's left solely to the few committers to create and improve.
>>
>> Here's the process I went through.
>> 1. Cleared out all my cookies to remove my authorized identity
>> 2. Navigated to the Developer Resources page
>> 3. Click on the Confluence Wiki Space link
>> 4. When prompted I registered as a new user to confluence
>> 5. Navigated to the Apache Shiro project
>> 6. Tried to Edit a page
>>
>> Basically, no Edit or Add link shows up to me.
>>
>> I checked other Apache projects to see if there was a standard and
>> found
>> that I COULD add and edit pages for many of the other projects.
>> There's
>> seems to be two different ways other projects handle free form
>> community editing
>>
>> 1. What Cassandra does, where anyone can contribute to any part of
>> the site.
>>  BTW they don't use Confluence so if you test this you'll have to
>> create an
>> account on their own wiki.
>> 2. What Felix does, where they have two Confluence spaces.  One
>> locked down
>> like ours and one complete open for full wiki style contribution.
>> The open
>> space seems mostly focused on documentation.
>>
>> I think the Felix route is probably best.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Alex Salazar
>> 571-276-7777
>> alex@alexsalazar.com