shiro-dev mailing list archives

From Kalle Korhonen <kalle.o.korho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PathMatchingFilter and configuration
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2011 01:10:02 GMT
On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Les Hazlewood <lhazlewood@apache.org> wrote:
> Actually, in thinking about this more, I don't think we should create
> new Filter instances per chain by default, and here's why:
> 1.  Shiro filter chains can contain _any_ javax.servlet.Filter

Sure, which may the be exact problem. By the servlet spec, the filters
are configured in web.xml. We've talked about that before and Shiro
would also be a better fit for Play framework if these filters weren't
servlet filters.

> 2.  Creating a new Filter instance per chain can be a dangerous thing
> to do - there are many filters that, upon startup/init, go through

Sure it could, but that's certainly addressable if there were any such
filters with significant initialization logic. Even then, it's
one-time cost instead of recurring cost.

> I don't know what Tapestry Security supports, but if you're allowed to
> configure any javax.servlet.Filter like you can in Shiro's INI, I

Currently it does, but I just opened an issue for it and specifically
noted that they shouldn't be allowed anymore
(http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/TYNAMO-76). BTW, Tapestry is
implemented as a filter as well, so obviously you can use *standard*
servlet filters together with Tapestry as you see fit.

> Finally, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but your main concern in
> this thread isn't really about new instances vs pooled instances (if
> it was, I'm assuming you'd argue that the Servlet containers are doing
> it incorrectly as well, since we just retain the same behavior).  It
> is almost entirely driven by your concern about performance due to
> executing path matching too often, correct?

Right about the performance, that's what the PathMatchingFilter issue
all is about. Neither issue I opened says anything about the pool
either way. Absolutely wrong assumption on the servlet container
behavior: that comparison is off - there's no behavior such as filter
chains. By the spec, each filter includes the mapping configuration in
itself and they are all being compared to, similar to executing them
all as separate chains.

As is, please provide closing comments to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO-256 for future reference.

Kalle