shiro-dev mailing list archives

From Les Hazlewood <lhazlew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed changes to Shiro annotations
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 18:21:53 GMT

> >> Yes, for 1.0.1 I only suggested adding ElementType.Type for @Target,
> >> that should be perfectly backwards compatible right?
> > If we add that in 1.0.1, and they rely on the behavior that it triggers
> and
> > then downgrade to 1.0.0, then their software could break because that
> > behavior won't be enabled, right?
>
> After downgrading, it'd show up as a compiler error - which makes all
> the sense to me.

This means it's not backwards compatibile according to the APR guidelines
(that guarantee both binary and source compatibility across patch versions):

"We define "source compatible" to mean that an application will continue to
build without error, and that the semantics will remain unchanged."

Don't we want to retain those guidelines?

Les