shiro-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Preparing for an Apache release
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 16:37:28 GMT
First, import the outside code into the Apache repo. I'd suggest using  
a jsecurity/import directory and dump whatever history you want into  
it. The infrastructure folks can help with the import. The import with  
history will take up to a few weeks, so that's critical.

Next, look at other projects and how they are released. It might give  
you some ideas on how to repackage the 0.9.0 release if necessary to  
look like an Apache release. You might decide you like the release  
format, and just need to add signatures and checksums to make it an  
Apache release.

Then, start migrating code from import to trunk in the format you want  
to go with. Now would be a good time to validate that you like the  
structure or make some changes. Do the import and just change  
copyright notices, headers, and scripts to accommodate the new  

Once everything is in Apache repo, make a release candidate. Run rat  
on the release to verify license headers etc. Review the release  
process (necessarily broad) at

And by the way, now would be a good time to update jsecurity/STATUS  
and add an incubator report to jsecurity/board/200809.txt for  
September's board meeting. Anyone with commit privileges can update/ 
add these files.


On Sep 5, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Les Hazlewood wrote:

> Hi Joshua,
> As soon as our mentors tell us what exactly needs to be done, I'd be  
> quite
> happy to receive your help.  I don't know myself what is necessary  
> at the
> moment, but as soon as I do, you can be sure I'll ask for help :)
> Thanks!
> Les
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Joshua Partogi  
> <>wrote:
>> I agree with you Les, I think the sooner we put a release under  
>> apache
>> would be great. At least this will create less defects in the future
>> for those who are migrating to the Apache release. Is there any  
>> help I
>> can do?
>> cheers.
>> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Les Hazlewood <>
>> wrote:
>>> After I get 0.9.0 out (the last non-apache release), I'd like to  
>>> do a
>> 0.9.1
>>> release.
>>> The only difference is that the 0.9.1 release would be an official  
>>> Apache
>>> release - all the license headers would be in place, the proper
>>> NOTICE/README files are located appropriately, etc.
>>> In essence, there would be zero difference in code or  
>>> functionality with
>>> 0.9.0, it would just be an Apache release.
>>> I'm thinking this is a good idea because it would get one Apache  
>>> release
>>> under our belt without having to worry about functionality - a
>>> test-but-not-quite-test run, so to speak.  It would also look good  
>>> to
>> have
>>> an initial *stable* release available to the rest of the Apache
>> community.
>>> Is this a good idea?  Any opinions?
>> --
>> Commitment is what moves you forward
>> Persistency is what keeps you going
>> Passion is what takes you even further

Craig L Russell
Architect, Sun Java Enterprise System
408 276-5638
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

View raw message