shindig-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Henry Saputra <henry.sapu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Beta3
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:56:57 GMT
I understand =(
Sometime its a bit hard to hard to convince your team/company to
upgrade to beta versions is a bit hard.

We are trying our best to minimize and reduce the API changes as much
as possible.
Code reviews will be conducted for such changes to reduce the pain and
effort to upgrade.

The "merge" process that still need to happen is in the default
config/container.js. There are some new attributes introduce there
since 2.0 but I believe most of them has default value handling in the
code.

If you see any breakage with your custom container config file please
shout out so we could resolve it ASAP.

Really do appreciate the input and as community lets work together to
make Apache Shindig better.

- Henry

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Joel Cairney
<joel.cairney@caseware.com> wrote:
> Hi Henry,
>
> In some ways, yes, it's a blocker.  As much as I personally trust the quality of the
beta releases, convincing my whole team or dev manager that we should upgrade from Shindig
2.0 to a version still in beta was more work than it seemed worth given how close I thought
the release was when I checked in April.  I don't think using a beta is out of the question
for my team, but I think they'll be skeptical.
>
> However, I also don't think I can afford to wait for the final release, so I may yet
resort to upgrading to a beta, and will upgrade to the final release down the road.
>
> - Joel
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Henry Saputra [mailto:henry.saputra@gmail.com]
> Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 1:40 PM
> To: users@shindig.apache.org; dev@shindig.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Beta3
>
> Hi Joel,
>
> We apologize for running a bit longer to release final 2.5. Some critical issues were
found and need to get them fix and tested before final 2.5 shipped out.
>
> Since the betas releases actually available in maven repo and download directory will
the non availability of final 2.5 be a blocker for you to use Apache Shindig since its not
final release yet?
>
> - Henry
>
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Joel Cairney <joel.cairney@caseware.com> wrote:
>> I'm actually waiting for the final release.  I was naively hoping it would be out
in May 2012.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Henry Saputra [mailto:henry.saputra@gmail.com]
>> Sent: Friday, July 20, 2012 9:03 PM
>> To: dev@shindig.apache.org; users@shindig.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: Beta3
>>
>> Yeah, I know I was being optimistic here =P
>>
>> Well, the good thing we have svn pub sub for releases so its easier to release and
push.
>>
>> I guess we could plan for couple more beta releases before final 2.5.
>>
>> Any inputs or suggestions are surely welcomed.
>>
>> I am including shindig users list just in case any end users interested to chime
in.
>>
>> - Henry
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Ryan Baxter <rbaxter85@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Henry I am fine with setting a goal of next month having 2.5
>>> released, even though I think it is optimistic.  I think we should
>>> continue to release betas every month until we are ready to cut 2.5.
>>> Eventually one of those releases will be feature complete and we can
>>> call that 2.5, unless you think doing this is causing problems.
>>>
>>> -Ryan
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Henry Saputra <henry.saputra@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>>> Lets target beta3 to be the final beta build for 2.5.0.
>>>>
>>>> We should aim to release 2.5.0 in about 1-2 months at most to cover
>>>> all required features in OpenSocial 2.0 and 2.5.0 specs.
>>>> If we miss something after 2.5.0 we could release minor versions
>>>> like
>>>> 2.6.0 bc we only need to match major version to the OpenSocial specs
>>>> per our discussion in the dev list few months ago.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> What do you guys think?
>>>>
>>>> - Henry
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Ryan Baxter <rbaxter85@apache.org>
wrote:
>>>>> Hi Doug,
>>>>>
>>>>> There has been an issue identified on the private list that is
>>>>> blocking the release.  The fix should be checked in early next week
>>>>> and I will kick off a beta 3 RC right after that.
>>>>>
>>>>> -Ryan
>>>>>
>>>>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:57 PM, daviesd <daviesd@oclc.org> wrote:
>>>>>> Ideas when beta3 is coming?  I know there was talk about it
>>>>>> earlier in the month.  I¹d love to get a beta3 before too many
>>>>>> more changes go in, since I¹m really only interested in 2 things
>>>>>> that got fixed post beta2, and I¹d hate to have to do the amount
>>>>>> of work I had to do to get from beta1 to beta2.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>> Doug
>>>>>>
>>
>> --
>> Click the link below to report this message as spam to Caseware E-Mail Security Server
ESVA.
>> http://esva5.caseware.com/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=EFCD22807D.ABB99
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Click the link below to report this message as spam to Caseware E-Mail Security Server
ESVA.
> http://esva5.caseware.com/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=048122807D.E7154
>
>
>

Mime
View raw message