shindig-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Ryan Baxter <rbaxte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Beta3
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2012 00:17:27 GMT
Joel, in my opinion doing some integration testing with a 2.5 beta before
the final release.  This will help us identify any critical issues with the
release that could block you and give us a chance to address them right
away.  But if that is not possible we understand as well.

-Ryan

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Henry Saputra <henry.saputra@gmail.com>wrote:

> I understand =(
> Sometime its a bit hard to hard to convince your team/company to
> upgrade to beta versions is a bit hard.
>
> We are trying our best to minimize and reduce the API changes as much
> as possible.
> Code reviews will be conducted for such changes to reduce the pain and
> effort to upgrade.
>
> The "merge" process that still need to happen is in the default
> config/container.js. There are some new attributes introduce there
> since 2.0 but I believe most of them has default value handling in the
> code.
>
> If you see any breakage with your custom container config file please
> shout out so we could resolve it ASAP.
>
> Really do appreciate the input and as community lets work together to
> make Apache Shindig better.
>
> - Henry
>
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Joel Cairney
> <joel.cairney@caseware.com> wrote:
> > Hi Henry,
> >
> > In some ways, yes, it's a blocker.  As much as I personally trust the
> quality of the beta releases, convincing my whole team or dev manager that
> we should upgrade from Shindig 2.0 to a version still in beta was more work
> than it seemed worth given how close I thought the release was when I
> checked in April.  I don't think using a beta is out of the question for my
> team, but I think they'll be skeptical.
> >
> > However, I also don't think I can afford to wait for the final release,
> so I may yet resort to upgrading to a beta, and will upgrade to the final
> release down the road.
> >
> > - Joel
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Henry Saputra [mailto:henry.saputra@gmail.com]
> > Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 1:40 PM
> > To: users@shindig.apache.org; dev@shindig.apache.org
> > Subject: Re: Beta3
> >
> > Hi Joel,
> >
> > We apologize for running a bit longer to release final 2.5. Some
> critical issues were found and need to get them fix and tested before final
> 2.5 shipped out.
> >
> > Since the betas releases actually available in maven repo and download
> directory will the non availability of final 2.5 be a blocker for you to
> use Apache Shindig since its not final release yet?
> >
> > - Henry
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Joel Cairney <joel.cairney@caseware.com>
> wrote:
> >> I'm actually waiting for the final release.  I was naively hoping it
> would be out in May 2012.
> >>
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: Henry Saputra [mailto:henry.saputra@gmail.com]
> >> Sent: Friday, July 20, 2012 9:03 PM
> >> To: dev@shindig.apache.org; users@shindig.apache.org
> >> Subject: Re: Beta3
> >>
> >> Yeah, I know I was being optimistic here =P
> >>
> >> Well, the good thing we have svn pub sub for releases so its easier to
> release and push.
> >>
> >> I guess we could plan for couple more beta releases before final 2.5.
> >>
> >> Any inputs or suggestions are surely welcomed.
> >>
> >> I am including shindig users list just in case any end users interested
> to chime in.
> >>
> >> - Henry
> >>
> >> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Ryan Baxter <rbaxter85@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >>> Henry I am fine with setting a goal of next month having 2.5
> >>> released, even though I think it is optimistic.  I think we should
> >>> continue to release betas every month until we are ready to cut 2.5.
> >>> Eventually one of those releases will be feature complete and we can
> >>> call that 2.5, unless you think doing this is causing problems.
> >>>
> >>> -Ryan
> >>>
> >>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Henry Saputra <
> henry.saputra@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>> Lets target beta3 to be the final beta build for 2.5.0.
> >>>>
> >>>> We should aim to release 2.5.0 in about 1-2 months at most to cover
> >>>> all required features in OpenSocial 2.0 and 2.5.0 specs.
> >>>> If we miss something after 2.5.0 we could release minor versions
> >>>> like
> >>>> 2.6.0 bc we only need to match major version to the OpenSocial specs
> >>>> per our discussion in the dev list few months ago.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> What do you guys think?
> >>>>
> >>>> - Henry
> >>>>
> >>>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Ryan Baxter <rbaxter85@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >>>>> Hi Doug,
> >>>>>
> >>>>> There has been an issue identified on the private list that is
> >>>>> blocking the release.  The fix should be checked in early next week
> >>>>> and I will kick off a beta 3 RC right after that.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> -Ryan
> >>>>>
> >>>>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:57 PM, daviesd <daviesd@oclc.org>
wrote:
> >>>>>> Ideas when beta3 is coming?  I know there was talk about it
> >>>>>> earlier in the month.  I¹d love to get a beta3 before too many
> >>>>>> more changes go in, since I¹m really only interested in 2 things
> >>>>>> that got fixed post beta2, and I¹d hate to have to do the amount
> >>>>>> of work I had to do to get from beta1 to beta2.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Thanks,
> >>>>>> Doug
> >>>>>>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Click the link below to report this message as spam to Caseware E-Mail
> Security Server ESVA.
> >> http://esva5.caseware.com/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=EFCD22807D.ABB99
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > --
> > Click the link below to report this message as spam to Caseware E-Mail
> Security Server ESVA.
> > http://esva5.caseware.com/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=048122807D.E7154
> >
> >
> >
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message