shindig-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <>
Subject Re: iGoogle
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 05:46:37 GMT
Judging from the comment that there will probably be a "data liberation policy" my interpretation
is that Google is dropping OpenSocial completely, and not migrating it to for example Google+.

Conceptually, being able to have widgets that run together on a dashboard and have well defined
APIs to interact with each other is still very relevant in my opinion. Whilst we might be
moving more towards "Apps" right now, I think it would be a mistake to try and isolate those
from each other completely. I do think we should keep our eyes open and try to collaborate
with anybody that is doing similar things in order to keep providing the "best of both worlds".

Greetings, Marcel

On Jul 11, 2012, at 6:04 AM, Davies,Douglas wrote:

> Ya, I saw that thread but the answer seemed kind of vague. It's still unclear to me what
other google products are utilizing opensocial and whether they'll be abandoning it as well.
I guess whether google is supporting it or not at this point is irrelevant, but there are
concerns around my company that this spells the doom of opensocial and we should be looking
at other alternatives. I don't see it that way but others are.
> Doug
> Sent from my iPad
> On Jul 9, 2012, at 3:15 PM, "Ryan Baxter" <> wrote:
>> Doug, Paul had responded to a similar thread on the OpenSocial spec list
>> [1].
>> [1]
>> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM, daviesd <> wrote:
>>> Anyone have any opinion what the shutdown of iGoogle means for Google¹s
>>> support of OpenSocial?  I¹m assuming (but don¹t know for sure) that
>>> Google+,
>>> etc. use opensocial (or at least google gadgets)?  Doesn¹t this just mean
>>> that Google+ might become the new home for installing gadgets?  I know the
>>> Googlers probably can¹t comment on this.  Just wondering if this has any
>>> bearing on opensocial.
>>> doug

View raw message