shindig-dev mailing list archives

From René Peinl <rene.pe...@hof-university.de>
Subject Shindig neo4j backend
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:25:20 GMT
Dear Shindig developers,

I’m working together with my colleague Florian on a systems integration
research project that brings together a DMS, a groupware system, an ERP
system in an Intranet scenario and adds social media capabilities under the
hood of a central lightweight portal (see requirements overview at the end
of the email).

For the portal, we are planning to use Shindig as the central component and
maybe Rave as a basis  for the presentation layer. Since social media data
is inherently graph-oriented, we are planning to use neo4j as the storage
engine for Shindig (and maybe Rave as well). Florian has already implemented
a draft of this neo4j storage layer which works well for some sample data
that we have generated (if anyone is interested we can provide the sample
data and the generator for it), but due to simplicity reasons and to avoid
additional conversion operations in between the storage layer is currently
not using JPA, but directly writing the objects to the database (replacing
e.g. both PersonImpl and PersonDB).

Lately, we have discovered Rave and found out that despite its close
integration with Shindig it uses its own database abstraction and partly
competing implementations for classes that are already present in Shindig.
For example there is rave.portal.model.Person which uses JPA to store a
(incomplete compared to OpenSocial 2.0 specs) person object in the database
and there is shindig.social.opensocial.jpa.PersonDB which does the same, but
seems like a complete implementation of the fields defined in OpenSocial
2.0.

My goal is to better understand the decisions behind the current
implementation of both Shindig and Rave (I’ve posted a similar question on
the Rave mailing list) in order to find a solution for our project that lets
the Apache community benefit as much as possible from our efforts, without
burdening our project too much with non-project-specific requirements.

The options we have (from my perspective) are as follows

1)      Kind of forking the Shindig project and using our own neo4j backend
and not using Rave

2)      Going one step further and integrating Rave with our own neo4j
Shindig backend and eliminate the duplicate classes

3)      Trying to use SpringData JPA abstraction layer for neo4j and
providing some extended functionality in own classes (e.g. a
friend-of-a-friend query could be implemented with relational DBs as well,
but doesn’t make too much sense due to performance reasons) and hoping that
the Rave and Shindig community are helping us to eliminate the duplicate
implementations on JPA level.

All options have their pros and cons and I’d really like to hear your
opinion on that. If you have the feeling that our project idea is very
specific and you don’t see any use for the results in your scenarios than it
may be better for both sides if we are building a fork. On the other hand,
if you think that the principle idea behind our project would be beneficial
for your scenarios as well, we would be happy to work together on that.
We need e.g. some of the missing OpenSocial 2.0 features like full
activitystrea.ms support on the data layer, which is currently not given in
Shindig 2.5 beta2 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHINDIG-1536), but
we do not want to interfere with your roadmap and release plans.
We also found several common scenarios that e.g. MS SharePoint is
supporting, but that are not feasible with OpenSocial 2.0 specification
(mainly due to its focus on Internet scenarios). Examples are: User has
checked-out a document in a DMS. For this kind of check-out operation, there
is no post verb in the activitystrea.ms standard.  We would be happy to
bring these finding into the ongoing discussion about future Open Social
versions.

Summed up, we wanted to know how we could best cooperate with the existing
Shindig (and Rave) community in order to quickly achieve our goals and let
the Apache community benefit the most from our efforts.

Any suggestions?

Regards

René

Prof. Dr. René Peinl

Teaching area: architecture of Web applications

University of applied Sciences Hof

Alfons-Goppel-Platz 1, 95028 Hof, Bavaria, Germany

Tel: +49-9281-409-4820

Email: rene.peinl@hof-university.de

Requirements for OpenSocial Intranet Portal

Presentation layer

·         Portal entry page with admin predefined gadgets, customizable by
user
(mostly existing in Rave 0.12)

·         Gadget catalog (existing in Rave 0.12)

·         User profile page with photo, name and other attributes. Admin
customizable. All open social fields should be available for display.
Gadgets can be used to show additional data like activity stream, friends
network, bookmarks/tags, …
(basic functionality available in Rave 0.12 /portal/app/person)

·         User directory with overview of existing users (including paging
and search)
(not present in Rave 0.12 yet)

·         Ability to add friends/following people to “friends network” (e.g.
on profile page)
(not present in Rave 0.12 yet)

·         Suggestion list for new friends based on common friends,
interests, etc.
(not present in Rave 0.12 yet)

·         Ability to set a status message
(basic functionality available in Rave 0.12)

·         Ability to send a personal message to a friend
(not present in Rave 0.12 yet, maybe possible with one of the gadgets)

Logic layer

·         Gadget Rendering API
(existing in Shindig 2.5 beta2)

·         Authentication against external identity and access management
system (IAM) using OAuth 2.0 and SAML.
(some references state that Apache Shiro is able to do that, but we haven’t
seen the code implementing it)

·         Exposing social media data like friends, activities, … as RESTful
Web services
(available in Shindig 2.5 beta2)

·         Exposing extended social media data like friend of a friend to
portal gadgets as RESTful Web service
(draft implementation available at iisys)

Data layer

·         Full support for activitystrea.ms data storage and retrieval at
data object layer
(draft implementation available at iisys, but not with JPA support)

·         Storing/retrieving social media data like friends, activities,
ratings, bookmarks, tags, … in/from a graph database like neo4j
(draft implementation available at iisys,
it has to be discussed, whether it would be better to use SpringData JPA
abstraction instead of direct neo4j access)

·         Integrating Rave and Shindig person data
(not clear why Rave is having its own Person class which seems like a subset
of Shindigs PersonDB)

·         Keeping Rave User and PageUser data consistent with IAM system

·         Storing Rave authorization data (gadget permissions, user
preferences, …)  in neo4j
(not available yet)

·         Storing Rave general user data in neo4j.
(not available yet)