shindig-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <henn...@schmiedehausen.org>
Subject Re: Proposal To Branch for 1.0 Today
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2008 19:30:39 GMT
Ian Boston <ieb@tfd.co.uk> writes:

>On 5 Dec 2008, at 02:29, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

>> Ian Boston <ieb@tfd.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Why?
>>> To indicate the version that trunk is targeting.
>>
>> Because that assumes that this is the version the trunk is
>> targetting. If you find out halfway through working, that this should
>> be "2.0.0-SNAPSHOT", then you need to change it.

>my point exactly,
>no branch was done,
>and suddenly the direction of bleeding edge has changed
>anyone binding to the 1.1-SNAPSHOT still gets what they expected as
>its still deployed or in their local repo.

Yes. They would expect that after doing "mvn clean install", their
code will pick up the latest, greatest changes. That's why they live
on the trunk.

What I do is (and I assume that most people work this way):

/work/myproject %                           (Hmmm. I need to update Shindig)
/work/myproject % pushd /work/shindig-trunk
/work/shindig-trunk % svn -q update
/work/shindig-trunk % mvn -q clean install  (Let's get coffee)
/work/shindig-trunk % popd
/work/myproject % mvn clean install         (That should do it and pick up all the changes)

and it does not. Because in your scenario, the POM version on the
trunk suddently changed. And worse, my code still builds, so I have no
way of *noticing* that these changed, unless I follow the commits.

>It Does depend how long afterwards you realize that all the commits
>were going somewhere else, but I would hope that any project wouldn't
>perform this sort of random walk towards a release ? IMHO I dont think
>Shindig is doing that.

Hearing that from the person that just deleted the designated release
trunk and created a new one from a random point on the trunk makes me
shiver.

    Ciao
        Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen - Palo Alto, California, U.S.A.
henning@schmiedehausen.org "We're Germans and we use Unix.