shindig-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <henn...@schmiedehausen.org>
Subject Re: Proposal To Branch for 1.0 Today
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2008 02:29:06 GMT
Ian Boston <ieb@tfd.co.uk> writes:

>Why?
>To indicate the version that trunk is targeting.

Because that assumes that this is the version the trunk is
targetting. If you find out halfway through working, that this should
be "2.0.0-SNAPSHOT", then you need to change it.

I would only assign version numbers to the poms when you branch off to
actually release. As long as the trunk is just "bleeding edge, will be
released some day", I wouldn't nail it down.

If you look e.g. at httpd releasing, many versions were never released
to the public. So you might end up having "1.1.0-SNAPSHOT" on your
trunk but never actually releasing it.

>Less important for minor versions although it does let people know
>when a branch has happened.

That's what the SCM is for. ;-)

    Ciao
       Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen - Palo Alto, California, U.S.A.
henning@schmiedehausen.org "We're Germans and we use Unix.