shindig-dev mailing list archives

From Evan Gilbert <uid...@google.com>
Subject Re: Proposal To Branch for 1.0 Today
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2008 05:01:55 GMT
I don't feel strongly but want to answer the questions raised in this and
the previous email.

To Kevin's point about having 3 major architectural revisions during the 0.8
timeframe - we didn't bother making a release branch for any of them,
because there's no demand for a new version of Shindig that doesn't meet new
external APIs. One of the big reasons we release is to have a stable version
matching the latest from the spec.

More below...

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <
henning@schmiedehausen.org> wrote:

> Evan Gilbert <uidude@google.com> writes:
>
> >OpenSocial <-> Shindig
> >0.8.1          1.0.23
> >0.9.0          1.1.7
> >0.9.1          1.2.23
> >0.9.1          1.3.3
> >1.0.0          1.4.7
> >2.0.0          3.5.8
>

> Servlet/JSP Spec    Apache Tomcat version
> 2.5/2.1             6.0.18
> 2.4/2.0             5.5.27
> 2.3/1.2             4.1.37
> 2.2/1.1             3.3.2 (archived)

This is good to see as an example. I do think that the velocity of the
OpenSocial spec will make this a bit more cumbersome - JSP has had a release
every two years, and even if we slow down, with point revisions we'll
probably have 2 per year for a while to come.

> That is verbatim from http://tomcat.apache.org/
>
> Last time I looked, Tomcat was doing fine.
>
> >This may be a little different than other cases because our major Shindig
> >revisions will be very closely tied to spec revisions for a while to come.
> >don't think this is often the case.
>
> What makes you think that this is the case?

The velocity of the spec means there's much less incentive to create a
release branch between spec revisions.