shindig-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Brown <e...@google.com>
Subject Re: opensocial-templates in reelease branch
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 01:31:18 GMT
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <
henning@schmiedehausen.org> wrote:

> Kevin Brown <etnu@google.com> writes:
>
> >There are several experimental features in there, but they're all opt in.
> If
> >you don't want opensocial-templates to work at all in your deployment
> (even
> >opt in), just don't deploy the directory.
>
> I see the point in the develoment tree (trunk) but if I understood you
> right, then the first release (whatever it will be called) should
> support the 0.8.1 spec as a reference implementation.
>
> And a reference implementation (IMHO) supports exactly the spec. Not a
> superset (Yes, I am ripping out everything that is not spec for our
> 0.8.1 deployment).

Exactly the spec doesn't include a lot of things essential for running a
server, or that are included for compatibility purposes. Shindig's goal has
always to be both a reference implementation and a useful implementation.
Excluding a component just because it's experimental is hardly necessary.
There are plenty of experimental features in the JDK, httpd, jetty, tomcat,
or really any other project in existence.