shindig-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Smith <ben.thesm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal To Branch for 1.0 Today
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2008 06:55:55 GMT
On 4 Dec 2008, at 05:09, Dan Peterson wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Evan Gilbert <uidude@google.com>
> wrote:

>> slightly strong characterization of my points), but I'm not seeing
>> big
>> benefits in the short term to major releases independent of spec
>> revisions.
>>
>> The cost of maintaining a release can easily outweigh the benefits of
>> releasing a new architecture earlier, when there is likely a spec rev
>> coming
>> up in a few months. I wouldn't tie down the versions but I do see
>> benefits
>> in starting with Opensocial Spec Version == Shindig version.
>>
>> Still happy to support the will of the group on this one - just
>> wanted to
>> make sure that these points were heard.
>>

> As stated earlier in this thread, my stance is similar to Evan's --
> I worry
> that we're going to confuse people by *starting off* with a Shindig
> version
> that is inflated ahead of the version of the OpenSocial spec. I
> agree that
> we'd probably not want to hold the Shindig version to be similar to
> the
> OpenSocial spec version in perpetuity.
>
> That all said, however, if we're the minority, we should simply move
> on wrap
> up this release. Having stable releases at all is a really important
> milestone for Shindig's success.
>
> -Dan

I thought I might proffer my 2 cents as I'm new to Shindig and know
what was confusing and what wasn't.

I did not expect the Shindig version to match the Spec version. I did
have a look in the available README files, and would hope that this
kind of information would be explicate there, but in the absence of
release notes I just assumed the latest.

I agree with Dan that starting off with the Spec version and then
slowly divorcing from it would be bonkers.

I hope that helps,
Ben Smith
BBC