shindig-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Boston <...@tfd.co.uk>
Subject Re: Proposal To Branch for 1.0 Today
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2008 06:30:23 GMT

On 5 Dec 2008, at 02:29, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> Ian Boston <ieb@tfd.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Why?
>> To indicate the version that trunk is targeting.
>
> Because that assumes that this is the version the trunk is
> targetting. If you find out halfway through working, that this should
> be "2.0.0-SNAPSHOT", then you need to change it.

my point exactly,
no branch was done,
and suddenly the direction of bleeding edge has changed
anyone binding to the 1.1-SNAPSHOT still gets what they expected as
its still deployed or in their local repo.

It Does depend how long afterwards you realize that all the commits
were going somewhere else, but I would hope that any project wouldn't
perform this sort of random walk towards a release ? IMHO I dont think
Shindig is doing that.

> I would only assign version numbers to the poms when you branch off to
> actually release. As long as the trunk is just "bleeding edge, will be
> released some day", I wouldn't nail it down.
>
> If you look e.g. at httpd releasing, many versions were never released
> to the public. So you might end up having "1.1.0-SNAPSHOT" on your
> trunk but never actually releasing it.
>
>> Less important for minor versions although it does let people know
>> when a branch has happened.
>
> That's what the SCM is for. ;-)

except when there is no branch :)

I don't much care either way, but having been on the receiving end of
of a trunk with no indication of target, I would prefer not to inflict
that pain on others.