servicemix-dev mailing list archives

From Krzysztof Sobkowiak <krzys.sobkow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Create one karaf feature repo per spring version in servicemix bundles
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2017 17:11:12 GMT
Hi

I propose the servicemix-features subproject/repository (or you meant something other?) We
could move there later some other features from ServiceMix which have another lifecycle than
the assembly (e.g. the activiti  /here the activiti proiect could be more suitable/ or drools
feature) and place there some new future features. In this case this repository should also
contain eventual glue code necessary to implement the feature.

I propose to migrate the old https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/features/ repository
to git (servicemix-features), move the old code to servicemix4 branch and start with an empty
master fr the new features.

Kindly regards
Krzysztof

> Hi Christian,
>
> adding the Karaf dev mailing list in copy.
>
> I agree with the proposal.
>
> Now, SMX Bundles are supposed to contain only OSGi bundle wrapper for non OSGi libaries
(and jar generally speaking).
> As it's where we provide Spring bundles, it would be logic to have the corresponding
feature, however, I see two issues:

> 1. It means that SMX Bundles will contain more than just bundle, it will also provide
features. It would be weird for users to have a feature in mvn:org.apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.spring/4.3.5.RELEASE_1/xml/features
URL for instance.
> 2. It means we will have one feature module for each sub-spring version: for instance
4.3.5_1 and 4.3.5_2.
> It's not a big deal because it happens rarely, but it happened already.
>
> If you take a look on Cave README, you will see:
>
> "Apache Karaf Cave is an Apache Karaf subproject. It provides an OSGi Bundle Repository
(OBR) and Karaf Features Repository (KFR)."

> The purpose of a Karaf Features Repository (KFR) is to host non core Karaf features,
not in other project.

> So, instead of org.apache.servicemix.bundles, where the Spring bundles will stay, I would
propose a org.apache.servicemix.features, acting as a repository, wrapping different features.
We would have:

--
Krzysztof Sobkowiak (@ksobkowiak)