servicemix-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Create one karaf feature repo per spring version in servicemix bundles
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2017 17:13:12 GMT
Yes, it's the idea: move features on git, each module there with its own
release cycle.

Regards
JB

On 01/30/2017 06:11 PM, Krzysztof Sobkowiak wrote:
> Hi
>
> I propose the servicemix-features subproject/repository (or you meant something other?)
We could move there later some other features from ServiceMix which have another lifecycle
than the assembly (e.g. the activiti  /here the activiti proiect could be more suitable/ or
drools feature) and place there some new future features. In this case this repository should
also contain eventual glue code necessary to implement the feature.

> I propose to migrate the old https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/features/
repository to git (servicemix-features), move the old code to servicemix4 branch and start
with an empty master fr the new features.

> Kindly regards
> Krzysztof

>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> adding the Karaf dev mailing list in copy.
>>
>> I agree with the proposal.
>>
>> Now, SMX Bundles are supposed to contain only OSGi bundle wrapper for non OSGi libaries
(and jar generally speaking).
>> As it's where we provide Spring bundles, it would be logic to have the corresponding
feature, however, I see two issues:

>> 1. It means that SMX Bundles will contain more than just bundle, it will also provide
features. It would be weird for users to have a feature in mvn:org.apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.spring/4.3.5.RELEASE_1/xml/features
URL for instance.
>> 2. It means we will have one feature module for each sub-spring version: for instance
4.3.5_1 and 4.3.5_2.
>> It's not a big deal because it happens rarely, but it happened already.
>>
>> If you take a look on Cave README, you will see:
>>
>> "Apache Karaf Cave is an Apache Karaf subproject. It provides an OSGi Bundle Repository
(OBR) and Karaf Features Repository (KFR)."

>> The purpose of a Karaf Features Repository (KFR) is to host non core Karaf features,
not in other project.

>> So, instead of org.apache.servicemix.bundles, where the Spring bundles will stay,
I would propose a org.apache.servicemix.features, acting as a repository, wrapping different
features. We would have:

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org