servicemix-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 5.0.0
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:22:30 GMT
I agree with your description of 4.4, I would maybe add drop support
for jdk 1.5 and maven 2.x too though.

For ServiceMix 5, I think things are still a bit blurry.  We discussed
a while back about a survey for ServiceMix users.  I think before
making any firm plans / roadmap, we should start by asking our users
some feedback.  I think FuseSource would happily pay for it and
reusing the same host than the CXF and Camel communities did sounds
like a good idea to me.  This would give us a good idea or where we
should focus -- but I fear documentation will be the first and most
important point ;-)   I'll start another thread about that as I really
think now is a good time to do it (or at least just after 4.3 is out).

That said, I think ServiceMix 5 should definitely be more modular, so
leveraging whatever comes from Karaf 3 for features / kar / and ease
of building custom distributions would definitely be welcomed.  We
need to be able to provide very easily tailored distributions for
simple integration, web services, bpel, without being this big thing
that some people think servicemix is.

On the NMR point, we discussed that back a few months ago too, and I
think you're right.  We definitely need to enhance the NMR layer (or
whatever we will call it) to provide built-in support for clustering.
In addition this remoting capatiblity, the NMR is currently the best
way to integrate WSDL based tools such as ODE (as Kurt pointed), so
the registry part could play a big role here, especially in a
clustered environment.  Though we need to be very careful here as we
already tried twice (with flows in smx3 and the clustering engine in
smx4) and both have severe limitations that we need to overcome.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet