santuario-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Mullan <sean.mul...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Java 2.1.0 release?
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2016 13:33:37 GMT
Seems like a great idea to me. Couple of comments inline:

On 09/28/2016 10:17 AM, Colm O hEigeartaigh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense, or if there's any interest,
> in a 2.1.0 release of the Java library. 2.0.x requires Java 6. I'm
> thinking that we could skip Java 7 and require only Java 8 onwards for
> 2.1.x. Off hand I can think of the following benefits:
>
>  - Java 9 support

What do you mean by this?

>  - Replace the Base64 implementation with the Base64Encoder/Decoder in
> JDK 1.8
>  - Implement try-with-resources
>  - ?

Lots of other potential code improvements once you stop supporting JDK
6, ex: diamond operator, lambdas, etc

> Any opinions on this? Any changes anyone would like to see that
> potentially break backwards compatibility?

Not really. You could also remove the javax.xml.crypto packages from the
source code since that is bundled with the JDK since JDK 6. (or was that
done already?).

--Sean