santuario-dev mailing list archives

From "Cantor, Scott" <canto...@osu.edu>
Subject Re: Santuario xml-security-c 1.7.3 release candidate posted, call for vote
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2015 16:05:19 GMT
On 3/13/15, 11:57 AM, "Colm O hEigeartaigh" <coheigea@apache.org> wrote:

>I'm confused - why do we need votes for a non-official release? Is the vote to release
the "RC" itself?

No, it's to vote out this release so I can tag it and publish it.

> If so why not go through the normal process of creating a tag, etc?

This is the normal process I've used. If I tag before a vote, I've just created a release
that is not actually approved. Of course I could tag an RC, but we have notifications of commits
so if you don't see a commit from me, you know the tarball *is* the current trunk.

I've followed this same process for every release I've done. There are no RC tags in the repo
from me, and only one in the history of the repo:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/santuario/xml-security-cpp/tags/

The process I follow is:

- prepare a candidate and post to an unofficial place
- call for testing and then call for a vote
- when voted, tag and copy to the distribution site and update the web site

I definitely cannot tag now unless I tag it as an RC, and if we vote on that, I still have
to create the real tag after. I can't create the real tag ahead of the vote. If you want me
to tag trunk as RC I will, I just haven't done it in the past so I didn't now.

-- Scott