santuario-dev mailing list archives

From "Cantor, Scott" <canto...@osu.edu>
Subject Re: Using XML Encryption and Signature
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2014 14:38:57 GMT
On 2/16/14, 2:24 PM, "John Smith" <js86071@gmail.com> wrote:

>Can someone point me to some examples of using XML Encryption and
>Signature together in JAVA?  Is there a benefit to signing a document if
>the entire document is encrypted?

The usual encryption algorithms used do not guarantee integrity, and there
are attacks related to this. Newer algorithms like AES-GCM include a MAC
in the encryption step. But integrity alone, without a path to an
attributed key, does not authenticate the source of a document. They are
simply unrelated functions for different purposes.

-- Scott