santuario-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Cantor" <canto...@osu.edu>
Subject RE: problems with final link for xml-security-c and solaris
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 22:47:59 GMT
Philip Brown wrote on 2009-10-09:
> I'm trying to compile xml-security-c, in 64bits, in solaris.

I've never done it (the 64-bit case), and since nothing but a Shibboleth
build would be likely to try this, I doubt that it works.

These particular makefiles have a long history of screwing up on every
dynamic linking variant that gets introduced, and I imagine this is just
another case of that. This isn't likely to be a libtool problem, it's
probably an autotools issue related to the non-automake history of this
project.

I have no idea how to attempt a 64-bit build, but if you provide the
necessary instructions in a bug report, I'll take a look when I have a
chance. Needless to say, though, the chance that I would understand how to
fix something on Solaris more than you would is small.

> I thought there was some magic libtool command to use the .la file, and
> force generation of the shared lib, to somehow debug that process.... but
> have no idea what that is.

Normally what I do is run the libtool commands to get the actual command
line it's generating and then run the command line myself, but I do that
much more often with compiles than links.

It doesn't really sound like this is the problem, but I guess I'd check to
make sure the bug isn't more with the symlink commands or other shell
behavior after the link completes. That certainly used to come up in the
other projects that didn't have 64-bit support initially and assumed certain
paths.

-- Scott