santuario-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Mullan <Sean.Mul...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Questions about xml-security-1.4.2 and Java 1.6
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:45:26 GMT
dan costelloe wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've recently been tinkering with xml-security-1.4.2 and the experience so far
> has left me with some questions. Perhaps someone on this list may be able to
> shed some light:
>
> 1) (Sun) Java 1.6 seems to already contain an xml-security implementation. Which
> version of the implementation is this?

Yes, v 1.3.1 (plus a few important bug fixes).

> 2a) Is it possible to use the xml-security-1.4.2 classes in a java application
> so that the 1.4.2 classes take a higher preference than those in rt.jar? If so,
> can this be done without using the -Xbootclasspath argument to the JVM?

Yes, place xmlsec.jar in the endorsed standards directory [1]. You will
also need to put the Apache commons logging jar [2] there as well, since
the Apache code uses a different logging mechanism than the JDK.

> 2b) Can it be done without the removal of the xml-security classes from rt.jar?

Yes, see above.

--Sean

1: http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/standards/index.html
2: http://commons.apache.org/logging/