santuario-dev mailing list archives

From Brent Putman <putm...@georgetown.edu>
Subject Re: JCEID to Service mapping
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:46:21 GMT
The JCEID algorithm identifier gets looked up by the relevant security
provider class (e.g. Cipher), and is based on all 3 parameters: the
cipher, mode and padding.

This is highly platform vendor and version specific but as far as I
remember, support for the ISO10126 padding for XML Encryption was only
available in later versions of the default provider stacks that ships
with the Java runtimes.  With Sun's, for example, I believe 1.4 did
*not* include support for that padding.  1.5 does now, although not sure
about the initial patch revs.  I  seem to remember we had an issue in
our project with someone using IBM's 1.5 JRE about a year and a half
ago, and at that time they did not support that padding in the
then-current rev of 1.5.  Not sure about now. In their 1.4 I'm guessing
most likely not supported either.

If you can use recent Bouncy Castle security provider, that should get
you support for that padding (and larger AES encryption keys) for any of
the runtime platforms.  FYI, depending on what other crypto things
you're doing, you may have to fiddle with the registered order of the
providers in order to get everything to work as expected.

--Brent