santuario-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Cantor" <canto...@osu.edu>
Subject RE: Copy-on-write for C++ XML Security's safeBuffer class
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:56:43 GMT
> Has anyone considered whether copy-on-write semantics would be useful
> for safeBuffers?

Or getting rid of them entirely? I'm not sure that wouldn't be less error
prone than reference counting, but maybe I'm unusually allergic to it.

> I'm not particularly familiar with the code base, so I'm not sure how
> invasive this would be, and whether it is likely to yield any real
> benefit.  Before I contemplate undertaking an analysis, I'm wondering
> Berin or anyone else has any thoughts as to whether it's likely to be
> worthwhile.

I'm pretty familiar with some of the code base, but I've never profiled it.
When you're competing/compatrng with Java crypto, you can do a lot of
sub-optimal things and still look like you're blazing in comparison.

-- Scott