santuario-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Cantor" <canto...@osu.edu>
Subject RE: RC1 for 1.3.0 C++ Library
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 03:21:40 GMT
My initial attempt to configure the RC1 build on Solaris 8 (sparc) isn't
working...I'm getting an empty Makefile when I configure with the Sun
compiler. I think it's actually echoing the generated Makefile to stdout
instead of into the file. I'll try it some more, it might just be this box.

It's mostly working on Solaris 10 (x86).

I did spot one minor issue that I've seen before so I'll mention it
now...the OpenSSL library checks only work if libcrypto is in the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. If it's in a non-standard place, the AC_CHECK_LIB macro is
building a CC test command with -lcrypto ahead of the -L${OPENSSL} flag, so
it doesn't find the library.

It's not unusual to need LD_LIBRARY_PATH set with a lot of packages, but it
shouldn't technically be required just to configure and build if things are
scripted correctly.

Other than that, the long-standing Solaris problems with install-sh still
exist. I think that the root cause of this is the fact that you're not using
automake, which seems to do the right thing for 'make install' on more
platforms. Not sure this is easily fixable with the current makefiles but it
does make life hard on Solaris for novices.

I'll move on to g++ 4.x and 64-bit tomorrow.

-- Scott