santuario-dev mailing list archives

From Milan Tomic <tomicmi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Signature Verification Failed with tools.
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:18:50 GMT

Yes, tools like XML Spy often modify XML file, like pretty printing or replacing every new
line
character (ASCII 10) with a pair of new line and carriage return characters (ASCII 10 and
13).
Such files are still valid XML files (well formed and conformed to its schema), but signature
is
not valid any more. I recommend using Notepad.exe for manipulating signed XML files, instead.

However, tool that you are using doesn't have to be source of your problems. Signature will
allways be invalid if you put signed document into some other document which have namespaces
(on
the root element, for example) and you don't use exclusive canonicalization for both
<ds:SignedInfo> and references you are signing (see <ds:Reference> and <ds:Transformations>
documentation). Sometimes you have to take your signed XML out of the SOAP message to be able
successfully validate its signature.

Btw, if you have any chance to modify WSDL file of your web service, you should change it
accept Base64 encoded signed XML file, instead of XML Document (in the soap header). You will
save
yourself a lot of pain and interoperability troubles.

Hope it helps,
Milan