santuario-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>
Subject Re: Problem with rsa-1_5 padding mechanism
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:07:09 GMT
Hess Yvan wrote:
> - Does it means that XML apache security using RSA/ECB/PKCS1Padding is
> the correct one and that IBM XSS4J contains a critical bug ?
> - Is it right to map RSA 1.5 alg to a Java Cipher "RSA/ECB/PKCS1Padding"
> ?

PKCS1Padding is the most common form of padding for RSA.  There is also
OAEP, which is supported within the dsig spec.

Using RSA without padding is potentially dangerous - lack of padding can
lead to potentially easy to decipher ciphertext when the plain text
sizes are small.

So to answer your questions

- PKCS1 padding is correct, and if XSS4J is uing no padding, it is an
error.  However I would be surprised if this were the case - would be
interesting to understand some background.
- Needs to be answered by the more Java minded people, but from memory
that is correct.

Cheers,
	Berin