santuario-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Black <ch...@lotuscat.com>
Subject Stream based approaches, progress and call for advice
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:06:24 GMT
Hello all,
I've been trying to get a stream-based implementation of just the core
parts of the xml signature spec I need for my applications. I recently
researched a bunch of alternatives to dom/jdom which is what we used to
use and was causing performance problems, I ended up going with stax.
Anyway, I have been working on a hacked up proof of concept using stax
and only implementing enveloped dsa signatures including keyinfo and
making some progress. Right now I am not using standard canonicalization
because I was unable to find an easy way to do this in stax w/o writing
it myself (which I may do in the future).
I saw in the mailing list archives back in November that Raul Benito
mentioned perhaps working on a stax implementation. That path has my
vote :)  One of the problems I ran into when trying to reference just
parts of the existing apache xml signature implementation was that many
of the classes don't have a way to use their functionality without using
DOM, so I end up writing my own quick implementations of all the parts I
need. This may of course just be due to my unfamiliarity with the code.
I was wondering if there are any thoughts on how a stax implementation
would fit into the package structure of the existing codebase and if
there had been any further work on stax implementations by anyone. And
also if anyone has tips on efficient canonicalization using
streams/transforms in some way.

Chris