santuario-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>
Subject The time has come the Walrus said....
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:52:00 GMT
Hi all,

Dims has mentioned something that I have looked at once or twice in the
past and never really got off the ground.  Which is making xml-security
a TLP (Top Level Project).

This would mean we would exist outside of the XML project as a project
that reports direct to the board.  It's good because it raises our
profile significantly.  As an example, we become a link off the main web
page and we get our own mailing lists (dev@xml-security.apache.org or
somesuch).  We also get our own website etc. if we so desire.

I'd like to do it - I think it would help us to refocus and get things
moving again.  I know I've been off in la-la land with work, and I've
been thinking a lot lately I'd like to get back into ASF stuff, but be
more focussed on what I'm doing.  This would give us a chance to focus
on xml-security and JuiCE etc.

As an aside - I'd also be *very* interested in thinking about how to
raise the profile of XML sig and encryption in general.  So I'm kind of
interested in ideas to get it "out there".  As an example, for the XKMS
interop tests, I built a C++ server on Linux to handle XKMS queries and
it was only designed to work for interop and you would *not* want to run
it in anger in a production environment, but it might be the core we can
use to build a proper XKMS service.  If we do that, it would be great to
build some tools around the library and server to give us something that
people can actually use directly.

TLP project status might also help us in the profile stakes.

Anyway, as always, open to thoughts and suggestions!

Cheers,
	Berin