santuario-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Cantor" <canto...@osu.edu>
Subject RE: C++ - 1.2 Release Candidate 1
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:56:50 GMT
Something to consider for the future is that the use of proprietary
eumeration constants in the API for specifying signature and digest
algorithms makes application code on top of this very brittle in terms of
handling future evolution.

It would be better to let dependent code use the URI strings when passing in
or returning the algorithms, and handle any shorthand notation you want
internally to the code.

Looking at this new version, if I want to extend support for more than just
SHA1 and MD5, I think I have to both conditionally allow for the newer
algorithms at compile time, and I can't easily handle future algorithms by
way of a configuration file because I wouldn't know what constant to pass
into the library.

Sorry for not bringing this up before, I hadn't really tried to add support
for multiple algorithms in my code until now.

-- Scott