samza-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jake Maes <jacob.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Review Request 45601: SAMZA-886 document rack awareness impact on host affinity
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2016 20:34:19 GMT


> On April 12, 2016, 6:49 p.m., Boris Shkolnik wrote:
> > docs/learn/documentation/versioned/yarn/yarn-host-affinity.md, line 106
> > <https://reviews.apache.org/r/45601/diff/1/?file=1322576#file1322576line106>
> >
> >     Please expand 'mapping'. It is not clear from the context without reading the
SAMZA-886.
> 
> Jake Maes wrote:
>     I don't want to duplicate the hadoop documentation that is linked in the first sentence,
so can you please specify what is unclear?
>     
>     Would it help if I said "DNSToSwitchMapping"?
> 
> Navina Ramesh wrote:
>     I think the gap is due to the fact that we don't have any documentation on tuning
Rack Awarness for Yarn in the Samza website. So, those who are new to Samza will have a tough
time digging out the information from the Yarn documentation.
>     1. You can replace "mapping" with "DNSToSwitchMapping" and also, explain what info
this mapping maintains, what will happen if the mapping is not configured etc.
>     2. The documentation should also clearly indicate whether RackAwarness is a pre-requisite
for correct behavior of host-affinity. 
>     
>     Can you please incorporate the above points? Thanks!

> I think the gap is due to the fact that we don't have any documentation on tuning Rack
Awarness for Yarn in the Samza website.
Why should we? Rack awareness currently only impacts Samza if it's broken. So, I'm not sure
what "tuning" would entail. Should we similarly document every other config that has no impact
on Samza?

> You can replace "mapping" with "DNSToSwitchMapping" and also, explain what info this
mapping maintains, what will happen if the mapping is not configured etc.
I'll expand on how the mapping impacts Samza, but I don't think it makes sense to restate
the hadoop documentation that explains the property. We are not asking users to configure
it, we are asking that if they do, they make sure it's robust. If they choose to implement
it, it is reasonable to assume that they are familiar with the feature. 

> The documentation should also clearly indicate whether RackAwarness is a pre-requisite
for correct behavior of host-affinity.
Fair enough.


- Jake


-----------------------------------------------------------
This is an automatically generated e-mail. To reply, visit:
https://reviews.apache.org/r/45601/#review128501
-----------------------------------------------------------


On April 1, 2016, 7:49 p.m., Jake Maes wrote:
> 
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> This is an automatically generated e-mail. To reply, visit:
> https://reviews.apache.org/r/45601/
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> 
> (Updated April 1, 2016, 7:49 p.m.)
> 
> 
> Review request for samza, Navina Ramesh, Jagadish Venkatraman, and Yi Pan (Data Infrastructure).
> 
> 
> Repository: samza
> 
> 
> Description
> -------
> 
> SAMZA-886 document rack awareness impact on host affinity
> 
> 
> Diffs
> -----
> 
>   docs/learn/documentation/versioned/yarn/yarn-host-affinity.md 1d9c29e7ee7fd19fabba55111b5088cc5d36f1fe

> 
> Diff: https://reviews.apache.org/r/45601/diff/
> 
> 
> Testing
> -------
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Jake Maes
> 
>


Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message