samza-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Chambers <andy.chamb...@fundingcircle.com>
Subject Serialization asymmetry
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2016 00:14:29 GMT
Hey Folks,
It seems like there's some asymmetry in the way serialization works. Unless I'm
doing something wrong, samza seems to pick up our custom avro serializer when it reads messages
from input topics, but when we tried to write messages to an output topic, it fails to
pick up the serializer from the config.
Digging into the javadocs, it looks like this is by design. You must specify the
serializer name when you construct the OutgoingMessageEnvelope. So the asymmetry
is that for inputs, samza will automatically find the serializer according to
the job config but for output the application needs to specify the serializer
itself. Is this correct? Is there a reason for this that I don't appreciate yet?
Cheers, Andy
Andy Chambers | Full-Stack Software Developer

andy.chambers@fundingcircle.com | 707-205-6502 (m)

747 Front St, 4th Fl | San Francisco, CA 94111

Our Mission: T o build a better financial world

Unless specifically indicated, this e-mail is not an offer to sell or a
solicitation of any investment products or other financial product or service,
an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Funding
Circle USA. This e-mail is meant only for the intended recipient of this transmission, and
contains trade secret and strictly confidential information belonging to the
sender. It is unlawful for unauthorized individuals to review, use, copy,
disclose, or disseminate confidential information. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone at 857.285.1263 or by return
email and promptly delete this message from your system.